Sunday, April 11, 2010

What's For Dinner


I'm trying to give my blog more of a purpose instead of just being a photo journal of family happenings. So one thing I love and care about is food and most of the time, good nutrition!! It's not easy though as a mom to balance meals that are inexpensive, healthy, appealing to kids and husband, and easy and fast to prepare and then easy to clean up. That is a TALL order and if someone has a book of recipes that meets all of that criteria, let me fill out the pre-order form now!

This dinner was a modified recipe from Pampered Chef. I made the BBQ inside the crock pot using organic ketchup, pampered chef BBQ rub, vinegar, and brown sugar. I mixed this all up in the crock pot to cut back on dishes! Then I added the chicken drumsticks. This is why I love the crockpot - the drumsticks were frozen! Robert forgot to take them out earlier but I put the frozen drumsticks in and the thaw and cook at the same time. I also added in some quartered small red potatoes right in the sauce mix. I should have made them a little smaller, because not all of them were very soft. The chicken though came out perfect!!! I always check the temp on chicken to be sure it's done. It was juicy and tender.... so good!! I had a lot of leftover sauce so I'm looking for some ideas on how to use some leftover BBQ sauce....

The seasoned white rice was made in the rice cooker by pampered chef. 2 C. organic free range chicken stock, veggie seasoning, and some dried cilantro went into the cooker and I microwaved that off. I've got brown rice in the pantry but Robert brought home white the last time he stopped at the grocery store to pick some up.

To add some color, the kids got a small side of avocado on their plates. I like to remind them that they like certain fruits and veggies they don't always see on a regular basis like apples and bananas. They've both always liked avocado. It was their very first solid food when they were babies.

No dessert tonight!


Hit Counter
Hit Counter
Posted by Picasa

No comments: