Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Closet Vegetarian - Orzo Salad

Who knew I'd like fennel so much!? I didn't even know what fennel was until last year in the kids gardening class at the Salinas Adult School family garden. This was only my second time cooking with it and the first attempt was a simple soup. So lately I've been thinking to cook some more vegetarian meals and while that would normally cause grounds for divorce around here, this hot topic is a mute point with Robert not home for dinner five nights a week!

 I went through my cookbooks and took a bunch of new recipes that are semi-vegetarian. This one I made tonight had optional prosciutto on the side which I served because.... well, I like prosciutto!

I had no clue pasta could take on so many different lives! I grew up in a half Italian home so my pasta was mostly spaghetti with red meat sauces and lasagnas .... again with mostly red meat sauces. So cooking with orzo and making these pasta salads are lots of fun for me! I call them baby pastas to the kids. I'll get the recipe up later with a photo of the final product but the camera is in my car in another location.

 Finally back to post this photo of the finished product.... better photos coming soon. My camera has been returned to the house!! It was living in my car a few days!

1 comment:

My world said...

goodness woman you can cook!! can't wait to see the results!