Hit Counter |
The cookbook is basically "all your favorites" but with a healthier spin. So these rolls I made this morning call for whole wheat flour, flaxseed and so on. I did not have any flax seed so I just left it out. It's not because I don't like flax, I just didn't have any.
I have to say, I think the last time I made homemade cinnamon rolls I was in home economics class in seventh grade. I grew up on cinnamon rolls from a can with glaze that came in a plastic squeeze-out pouch. I'm sure they still sell these, but now that I'm a mom, I try to stay away from these highly processed treats as much as possible.
Another thing I found was that a Cinnabon roll at the mall is as much as 880 calories. This homemade version is only 269 calories.
Here's a few things I changed in making this... Recipe calls for one cup all purpose flour and two cups whole wheat. I used three cups of what I had on hand - unbleached whole wheat white flour. I had no parchment paper so I just baked them in my pampered chef stoneware. Also for the glaze, I had no vanilla. I have no clue how this is possible, I think it's just misplaced in my kitchen. I used almond extract which was just fine. I like the flavor and the kids had no clue. And as I said, I had no flaxseed.
One more tip - I used a zip lock baggie to squeeze my glaze to make it look pretty like the picture. The kids were all bright eyed over this. And seeing how this took a lot LONGER than we all thought, it was nice to see them finally bright eyed about something! I'm also looking forward to seeing how these hold up for reheating as leftovers in hubby's lunch.
I'm looking forward to sharing more about my recipe adventures from this book, The Looneyspoons Collection by Janet and Greta Podleski. I have more to say about the this book, but this is all I have time for today!



No comments:
Post a Comment