Anyhow... the point of my entry was not to divulge the status of my house cleaning but to update the Dual Language journey and how the curiosity and skill grow each day. I learned that French is the language of dance from our piano teacher earlier today (which I never really paid much attention to since I'd always been a musician and not a dancer.)
Later in the coming weeks we'll celebrate the Day of the Dead. When I learned of this upcoming event, I was drenched in Fall Festival planning (which is happening tomorrow by the way) and I finally related on a personal level to Selena's dad in the movie Selena when he's talking about how Mexican Americans have to prove how American they are to the Americans and how Mexican they are to the Mexicans - they have to know about Oprah and about Cristina and so on and on.... great movie quote! Now I don't have to prove anything, but I really related because in my mind I initially thought: Double the work, double the volunteering. But ultimately... in choosing a photo of my dad for Joseph to take to school, I realize it is double the holiday, double the traditions, double the celebration, double the friends and double the love. (oh and let us not forget - double the food!)
My other major dual language highlights are that Robert has asked for me to get him Spanish on audio so he can learn on his commute because he's now worried we'll all be speaking Spanish soon and he doesn't want to be left out! Dual Language Parent Meetings continue to give me a sense of community with the teachers, principal, and fellow parents. It is an extension of the great pre-school co-op environment I came to love the last few years and I'm so thankful to continue with this sense of community with other like-minded parents eager for their children to grow in academics, language and cultural awareness.
October quickly approaches its ends and I can only imagine what Novemeber and December will hold for our journey. I'll be sure to check in with progress and hopefully have more fun stories to share.
| La bandera de Joseph desde día de la Independencia en septiembre (Joseph's flag from Independence Day in September) |


1 comment:
Lovely blog! Thank you for sharing.
Post a Comment