Sunday, December 26, 2010

Xmas Story to Make You Feel Good

Here's a Xmas de-cluttering story for you to make you feel good...

A few weeks ago while I was working on my junk drawer clean-out, I came across a bunch of small cassette tapes from my camcorder. Since I removed EVERYTHING from the drawer, I had to re-locate things that were not making a permanent home in this drawer. I was suddenly struck with a good idea. At a recent parent meeting for pre-school, we had discussed some of our family traditions associated (or not) with the holiday season. I thought it would be a fun thing to have these tapes put to DVD and then watch them on Christmas Eve before we went to grandparents house. I got them set to DVD by a local camera shop, Green's Camera, and wrapped them under the tree.

On Christmas Eve, when my husband got home, we opened the box and put in the DVDs. And there it was.... video footage of my dad with son. My dad passed away nearly three years ago and I still miss him terribly. These videos were so nice. It was so great to see him, looking healthy and handsome. And to think, these tapes were just sitting there in the junk drawer being anything but junk.

It makes me realize I am *responsible* for the things I own and taking care of especially the things that I love. Today I watched one of the videos that didn't get watched on Christmas Eve and there was more footage of my dad from when my son was a newborn and the one trip he took with us to Disneyland after my son was born. I can't even explain how much these tapes me to me and we plan to get out home movies every year at Christmas time and remember all the great memories.

No comments: