Monday, May 4, 2009

No More Runny Noses



So in the photo above you can see the shiny snoots leaking out of Amanda's nose. If you've been around us at all in the last couple of months you probably noticed her runny nose that would not stop. When this first started happening, I thought it was a cold. I went to the doctor when it would not seem to go away. It would go away but only for about five days and return for another ten days. A few weeks ago, I suspected an ear ache. The next day I talked to a trusted friend and educator who specializes in child development and got a referral to a pediatric nurse practitioner. I suspected the runny nose was not a cold but actually allergies. At the appointment with the nurse practioner I ended up learning a lot about allergies. The most important thing I learned that the runny nose could be caused by a food allergy. This was a surprise to me. I thought it was going to be something uncontrollable in the air. After thinking about it, I decided what the culprit could be and eliminated that food from my diet as she is still nursing. I was told it takes four days for a food to get totally out of your system and sure enough on day five.... just a small trace of runs only once that day... but since then... NO MORE RUNNY NOSE. Who knew? Oh and the food that I eliminated was orange juice in case you're wondering. Anyway... so my reason for writing is that if your child has chronic runny nose... talk to your doctor (or someone in the health care world who will listen!) about it and see if you can figured it out. I'm so glad I did.



Hit Counter
Hit Counter
Posted by Picasa

No comments: